Minimizing Children’s Exposure To The Trauma Of Court Testimony
The Children’s Room is a short-term waiting room at the McLean County Law and Justice Center where parents and guardians can bring their children while they are involved in court-related matters. The Children’s Room minimizes children’s exposure to the trauma of court testimony. It also frees the court system of the noise and disruption associated with children in the courtroom.
Who Can Use the Children’s Room?
Any parent or guardian who has official court business in the McLean County Law and Justice Center:
- Whose child is between six weeks and 12 years of age
- Who has attempted to access appropriate childcare but has been unsuccessful
How Does The Children’s Room Work?
- Parents will be issued a pager upon admitting their children into The Children’s Room. Pagers will be used for The Children’s Room staff to contact parents, if necessary, while children are in their care.
- Parents must remain inside the Law and Justice Center at all times while children are in the care of The Children’s Room staff.
- Parents are responsible for feeding and diapering their children and will be paged when needed. Please bring necessary feeding and diapering supplies with you to The Children’s Room.
- The Children’s Room is open only during Court hours.
- The Children’s Room will be closed over the lunch hour and does not provide meals for the children.
- Children and families may not remain in The Children’s Room when it is closed over the lunch hour.
What You Need
- A state photo identification
- Diapers (the correct size), wipes, diaper ointment, etc. for the child you are admitting
- A change of clothes – if your child is small and might have a toilet accident
- Formula, juice, water, or milk, and bottles or sippy cups (whatever your child uses)
- Something to drink for older children – such as juice boxes or bottled water
- An appropriate snack for your child
The Children’s Room is not able to take children who are ill, have had a fever or vomited within the last 24 hours. Staff is unable to administer any medication.
Hours of Operation
|Monday – Wednesday:||8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.|
|Thursday:||8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.|
|Friday:||8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.|
Children’s Home + Aid The Children’s Room Law & Justice Center Room 305 Eleventh Judicial Circuit McLean County, Illinois
The Children’s Room is offered in the Central Region. For more information, please call 309-827-0374.