Get to Know John Springer, Chief Financial Officer
We’re excited to welcome John Springer to Children’s Home & Aid as our new Chief Financial Officer. John joins us following the recent retirement of our past CFO Frank Poremski. We sat down with John to learn about his diverse background and discovered some fun facts about him along the way.
With a BA in Economics from the University of Illinois and an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, John brings over 25 years of innovative financial management leadership within large-scale, complex organizations. His past experience includes roles at Career Education Corporation, Sirva, Telllabs, United Airlines, Mosaic Analytics and more.
“Coming to Children’s Home & Aid was a chance to take the skills I’ve honed throughout my finance career and apply them at an organization that’s doing amazing work with children and families in Illinois,” John says. “Every morning I get on the train knowing that I’m part of something bigger than myself and how lucky I am for that.”
As the CFO, John is responsible for managing Children’s Home & Aid’s finances. For John, this means taking a collaborative, data-driven approach. “Over the past few weeks, I’ve met with staff from across our programs and have seen firsthand the lengths they take to strengthen and support our clients,” John says. “Each program comes with its own unique set of challenges. By collaborating with our staff and bringing data to the table, we can ensure that the agency has the financial resources it needs to go where the need is greatest.”
Now for a few fun facts about John:
- Before finding his true calling in the world of business, John’s first major in college was acting.
- This past spring, John’s family recently checked a major item off their bucket list—a family vacation to Hawaii.
- He is a father of three—a son at the University of Colorado Boulder, another son who is a senior in high school, and a 13-year-old daughter.
- John is a Chicagoland native and met his wife while in graduate school at the University of Chicago.
- He is a self-described workout fanatic and tries to exercise every day.