Each year millions of children are exposed to violence in their homes. Exposure to violence, especially repeated over time, can interfere with children’s ability to think and learn and can disrupt the course of healthy physical, emotional, and intellectual development. Exposure to violence is also associated with increased use of health and mental health services and increased risk of involvement with the child welfare and juvenile justice systems.
Children’s Home & Aid understands how vital it is to create awareness surrounding domestic violence. We offer services that aim to care for children and families exposed to violence, including the Butterfly Project, Family Visitation Center, and Crisis Nurseries.
- About 1 in 4 women and 1 in 10 men have experienced contact sexual violence, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner during their lifetime and reported at least one impact of the violence (like being concerned for their safety).
- Over 43 million women and about 38 million men experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime
- See more data from CDC’s National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS)
Join The Butterfly Project’s brown bag training events to promote domestic violence awareness during the month of October. –
October 14, 12 p.m. – Adverse Childhood Experiences and Protective Factors: Balancing the Scales
October 23, 12 p.m. – Understanding Domestic Violence
- To register, email:
Need help? Know Someone Who Does?
National Domestic Violence Hotlineexternal icon
- Call 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224.
Love is Respect National Teen Dating Abuse Helplineexternal icon
- Call 1-866-331-9474 or TTY 1-866-331-8453.
Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network’s (RAINN) National Sexual Assault Hotlineexternal icon
- Call 800-656-HOPE (4673) to connect with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.
- Visit rainn.orgexternal icon to chat one-on-one with a trained RAINN support specialist, any time 24/7.
National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV)external icon is a comprehensive source of information for on domestic violence.
The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)external icon provides information, resources, and research on all aspects of sexual violence prevention and intervention.
PreventConnectexternal icon is a national project of the California Coalition Against Sexual Assaultexternal icon. PreventConnect’s goal is to prevent sexual assault and relationship violence by building a community of practice to develop, implement, and evaluate prevention initiatives.